header image

About the Club

Club History

The Chemainus Rod and Gun club was founded in the early 1940’s, with a moorage in the Chemainus harbour for 50 members’ boats. The original moorage is now gone. There was an annual salmon derby every year with a boat and motor being the top prize. The club is part of the Associate Members Program of the BCWF, and has been active in ensuring a better future for BC’s fish, wildlife and habitat. The club has participated in repairing damage to the Stocking Creek salmon spawning grounds, the building of fishing wharves (Rheinhart, Chemainus and Fuller Lakes), the walking trail around Chemainus Lake, and creation of the Chemainus pistol and rifle range.

The range itself is maintained by the club, and includes archery, pistol, rifle ranges. There are several trap houses for use by the trap club. The club has an annual fishing derby on Father’s Day of each year, where members can compete for prizes based on the weight of the fish they catch. A yearly plinker’s day at the gun range affords younger members with the opportunity to get instruction from more experienced members, as well as the chance to use firearms they might not otherwise have access to.

Salmon Enhancement Projects

Stocking Creek Slide

Worked with the Ladysmith Sportsman club to repair damage to salmon spawning grounds due to a 2009 land slide that wiped out a portion of Stocking Creek.

Matthew Creek

Venner Brook

Fishing/Hiking Access

  • Built the original fishing wharf at Somenos Lake
  • Installed fishing wharf at Rheinhart Lake
  • Built road and installed fishing floats at Chemainus Lake – worked with Ladysmith Sportsman Club and local contractors
  • Assisted the municipality in building the Chemainus Lake walking trail
  • Helped the Rotary Club and municipality to build the Fuller Lake fishing wharf